MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE PICTURE HOUSE – later The Tivoli Cinema
Mansfield Woodhouse Picture House on Station Street opened as a cinema on August Bank Holiday 1912. It has also been referred to as a theatre.
George Edward Hogg, of Blake Street, was the proprietor. He had begun his working life as a wheelwright and then worked in the pits before taking over a large workshop in Station Street and borrowing £60 from friends to convert it into a cinema. It had gas lighting, seats for 180 people and four exits.
He said that the business was satisfactory until the war. In 1916 he began working in munitions and left his wife and family in charge of the cinema. In 1920 the local authorities condemned the premises unsuitable for a cinema and so he set about making structural alterations. The coal strikes of 1921 and 1926 caused business to fall away but he still went ahead and improved the exits in 1927. Then by 1928 George’s son Wilfred was the proprietor.
The Picture House was re-opened as the Tivoli Cinema on 20 February 1933 after it had been refurbished, had electric lights installed and was equipped to show sound films. There were 300 seats with charges of 6d, 8d, 9d and 1/-. The owners were William Pitchford and Partners, of Langwith, and the proprietor was Wilford Baden Whitehead, of Langwith. The telephone number was Mansfield 93.
The building was refurbished again in 1946/1947. The architect was Mr J W Shooter. In its later years it was operated by the owners of the Regal Cinema, Langwith and the Ritz Cinema, Bull Farm, Mansfield.
In the 1950s Ann Evans had a dress shop in the cinema, and people would see some of the dresses displayed in the window there. Also Angus Brown had a watch repair business there in 1955.
The Tivoli eventually closed on 3 May 1958 due to dwindling attendances.
Mansfield Woodhouse Urban District Council revealed in June 1958 that they had considered purchasing the Tivoli Cinema for use as a civic hall, but decided that the cost was prohibitive.
Then in 1959 the Tivoli Cinema was converted into a warehouse for storage of footwear, soccer and rugby boots for Ward Brothers Ltd, Mansfield.
The Telephone Directories for 1962 and 1964 show that the Tivoli Salon, Ladies Hairdressers, occupied part of the building.
The building was being used by Mudford & Co tent contractors and rope and twine dealers in the 1970s.
Eason Print took the building over some time after Mudfords vacated it.